Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Unit 2 Reflection

Journey On Reflection

How amazing that our bodies are programmed to respond so efficiently to our minds. This exercise really showed me how every part of me is interconnected.  So much of how we view the person as distinct compartments, acting on their own, just isn't true. We are totally interconnected- spirit, soul and body.  Every area affects all the other areas, both for good and bad.  One of the most exciting aspects of this exercise is that I am not some helpless victim who is being tossed to and fro by random experiences. I have control and can  decide how I will react and respond to the stressors of daily life.  The choice is up to me.  The decision to take the time to purposely relax and focus on nurturing my body and training it to respond positively is one I need to make on a regular basis, not just as a school assignment. Implementing this into my daily routine will take time and effort at first, but hopefully in time it will become second nature and help me on my journey to a deeper level of health and wellness.

2 comments:

  1. Stephanie,

    I also loved how this meditation exercise revealed to me how in control of your body's physical state you can be. I was also amazed on how the mind can effect the body (this exercise showed me this by controling the blood flow to the extremeties with thought). Until now and if I would not have done it myself, I would not think that type of control would be possible.

    Rebecca Cronin

    ReplyDelete
  2. Stephanie,

    The mind-body connection is a beautiful tool in the way of health and healing. Along with it is the will for health to be a part of your life. It is awesome that you are going to be integrating relaxation techniques into your regular routine. You will find that you are more energized and more clear than you were before.

    I am also a Massage Therapist, and I'm sure you know that you must take care of your own body to fully and effectively take care of someone else's. The progressive muscle technique is also a wonderful tool to wind down before bed or in bouts of anger and anxiety.

    For those reading this that are not familiar with the progressive muscle technique:

    Find a comfortable position as you did for the Journey On exercise.
    Focus on your breathing and relax into your position.
    Start by contracting the muscles in your toes. Hold the contraction for 15 seconds and then relax them for 30 seconds.
    Move up to the tops of your feet and repeat.
    Slowly contract and relax the muscles as they climb your body until you get to the top of your head. Remember to hold the contraction for 15 and relax for 30 seconds.

    Try it before bed and you will sleep like a baby!

    Stevi Gelinas

    ReplyDelete