Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Unit 2

Journeys on the Path of Life

All of us are on a journey. Some of us take many detours and wonder off the path before we finally reach our destination.  Many of us encounter bad weather, pot holes, weariness and hunger as we continue on the path, but we continue on.  Some of us try to blaze a completely new path through the dense underbrush rather than glean from those who have gone before and have made the path accessible and easy to follow. 

I have done both of these, pioneering in some areas and taking the easy road in others.  Going back to school to finish my degree in my 40's has been an adventure of courage, persistence, and most of all growth. Taking 7 long years to finish the degree that I started after high school has stretched my limits of perseverance and tenacity.I am the kind of person who needs a challenge- who thrives on accomplishment and success. Losing myself in the never ending drive to learn and better myself can overshadow who I really am. Discovering how to "be", not just "do", is a life-long yearning of my mine that I actually believe I am growing in.  The caution is not to make it just another item on my to-do list.  

The picture of the Hummingbirds on my blog reflect  parts of who I am.  Did you know that hummingbirds fly straight up when they are startled or scared? Through my deeply grounded faith, I have learned how to look up to my Source of strength during the times of uncertainty and fear.  The hummingbird will only feed on high sugar nectar, rejecting those of lesser quality. This reflects my quest for excellence in every area of my life.  I want to remembered as a godly woman who lived well.  Did you know that hummingbirds spend up to 85% of their time perching? Now this is a challenge to my busyness mind set, as I attempt to spend more of my time reflecting and just "being".  Hummingbirds only consume enough to survive 24 hours and are always on the brink of starvation. This quality reminds me to not worry about tomorrow because today has enough worries of its own.  I am reminded of how God only provided enough manna for each day, and when the Israelites tried to gather food for the next day, it rotted and became uneatable.  O that I could live in the here and now and take no thought for the future.  Lastly, the hummingbird has an extremely long life span for one with such a high metabolism. As I continue on my own path towards greater health and wellness, I pray that I would be blessed with a long and prosperous life-- one that has been lived well-- serving others and leaving a legacy for those who follow behind me.

Blessings as you journey,
Steph

No comments:

Post a Comment