Unit 3 post
Rating my Physical Well-being:
In rating my physical well-being, I have to take into account the different levels of fitness I have experienced over the years. Ten years ago I was still dancing and loving it. Since then, I have become a massage therapist and pursued my degree and have put so much time and energy into that, I feel I have neglected the area of fitness in my life. Two years ago, through one of my classes at Kaplan, I made the commitment to increase my physical fitness regimen and joined a local health club for those over 50. I got back in the pool and am loving it. I grew up swimming competitively and have always loved the water. I walk on the days I don't swim, but I know there is more. I feel I am at a stand still in my fitness level and want to push myself to do more. I just signed up for a Pilates class which I am so excited about. I know this will help to strengthen my core, and increase my balance and flexibility. Right now I would rate my physical well-being as a 7, with lots of room to grow!
Rating my Spiritual Well-being:
In rating my spiritual well-being, I also have to look back to see how far I've come. I want to spend more time studying the Bible and be more consistent with my daily devotions. I try to meditate on scripture different times, but it is pretty random. I also try to spend time in prayer throughout the day, but I know there is room for lots of growth. This class is helping me see how important meditation is, and this is an area I want to learn more about and put into practice. I would rate my spiritual well-being as a 7 as well.
Rating my Psychological Well-being:
In rating my psychological well-being, I need to consider several areas. First, do I feel emotionally healthy? My answer would probably be different depending on the day, week or even time of day. I feel most vulnerable in this area, partly because of how I am wired, and partly because of some complicated relationships in my life. The key for me is to stay constant despite the winds that blow around me. I have learned that it is my choice to give people the power to bring me down emotionally or I can choose not to give them that power. Through many hard times, I have learned to guard myself, in a good way, and keep emotional boundaries in place. In the sense of using my mind to further my personal growth, I would give myself a higher rating, as this is an area that I have been intentionally developing the past 7 years. Overall I would rate my psychological well-being as an 8. I have come a long way, but desire to continue to be stretched and grow in this area as well.
2 & 3-Physical Goal and implementation:
I want to strengthen my core and improve my balance and flexibility. I can do this by taking a Pilates class and discover new ways of pushing and strengthening my body.
Spiritual Goal:
I want to grow in the area of being more connected to God and know Him better. One way I can do this is by beginning to practice regular meditation and increase my time spent reading the Scriptures by 10 minutes per day.
Psychological Goal:
I would like to discipline my mind and learn how to spend more time reflecting on the positive aspects of my life. One way I can accomplish this is to spend at least ten minutes each day in the practice of thinking positive thoughts and visualizing the positive aspects of my life. Continuing to read each day (at least 15 minutes apart from school work), will help me to stretch my mind and learn new things.
4- Thoughts on the Crime of the Century-
I have to say I am confused as to the title of this exercise. When I listened to the audio, it was titled "Rainbow Exercise" and this is more appropriate. I felt this exercise helped me to take 20 minutes in the midst of my busy morning to focus on myself and calm my whole system. As I was going through it I had to remind myself not to analyze it, but to simply experience it. I enjoyed visualizing the colors and trying to imagine their brilliance. The areas of the body and what they stood for were enlightening. The only frustrating thing about the exercise was that after about 10 minutes I found my mind wandering and had to pull it back to the present moment. Also, some of the things the narrator said sparked a thought about something else, and then I realized I missed what he said. I realized I need to learn how to acknowledge thoughts and then let them go, rather than feeling guilty for not staying focused.
Hi Stephanie,
ReplyDeleteI enjoyed your responses. I am seeing a lot of variation among all of our reflections. Our spiritual sides are common of wanting to improve with me being part as well. It is a great idea to read scriptures and meditate to stimulate thoughts and guide us in the right direction. I think it will work and might give it a try.
The area that I have personally experienced progress with improving my life is with physical activity. From what I read, you reclaimed a past enjoyment of swimming for improvement. To me, any physical activity you even possibly might enjoy would be encouraged with those we will come to support, don’t you think? It is so hard to get people moving. If someone suggests they might like it, promote it. I really think with the sedentary lifestyles taking over, physical activity to get our bodies back in a rhythm will lead to greater progress in spiritual and psychological progress.
Reflecting on positives is so hard for many of us to do. I personally realize this and cannot wait to help others reframe. It takes a lot of intention to gain this ability. I mentioned earlier in a unit of gravitating towards Wayne Dyer. When I begin to slip into negatives, I listen to a video of his to get out of what is dragging me down. Helping ourselves stay positive will let us help those we will come to support arrive there as well. Keep it up! It seems like a group effort at times.
Thanks,
Ron
You seem to be a professional at this blogging thing! Your page is beautiful, and very organized....I love it!
ReplyDeleteI believe that all of us can improve on our walk with Jesus, and our daily devotions to the bible. I truly believe that when we have reached our fullest potential and accomplished whatever it is that we are supposed to, then God takes us. If we are still here, then he isn't finished with us yet. I like to think that I am spiritually a 10, but I know there is so much more that I can accomplish. Your goals are very attainable and practical, and I believe that you can make every one of them. Good luck!
Hi Stephanie,
ReplyDeleteI think that you are on the right path and right where you are supposed to be at this point in your life. Maybe you need some alone time with you to validate how good you really are with you and in your life. Relationships can be difficult but the lessons they teach us in self worth, tolerance, humility and responsibility can be for our better "self" and better relationships in the future. You are a special, unique you, there is no other like you, be the best you, for you, that you can be.
Hi Stephanie, Great post, glad to see that you are on the right path of your personal health. I enjoyed the relaxation exercise, what a great feeling to put all cares aside for a few minutes and feel the muscle tension go away and the energy come back into the body. My goals are to exercise physically and mentally in order promote a more healthy lifestyle. Great work and keep on being positive.
ReplyDelete