The first practice that I feel has been effective for me is visualization. I first became familiar with visualization back in 1994, when a therapist introduced it to me when I was going through a really rough time in my life. Since then I have used it occasionally, but not with any consistency. Now I feel it is the right time for me to institute this in my life on a regular basis. Throughout our class I have used this technique when I had an upset stomach or headache. I visualized my body being healthy and whole and saw light penetrating it and flowing into every cell. I have also gone to my favorite place, on the beach at the ocean, to relax my mind and body and bring them into balance. I am making a conscious effort to remember this tool when I am feeling overwhelmed. I enter that place of great happiness and contentment and allow it penetrate my whole being. If I do this consistently, this inner experience will flow into my daily life.
The second practice that I feel has been effective is that of Meditation. I find that Mantra Meditation, where I am saying a word or scripture over and over in my mind, gives me something concrete to focus on. If my mind wanders, I keep bringing it back to that particular phrase. This practice helps halt my wandering persistent random thoughts. After a short time, meditation brings my whole system into a place of rest and peace. Also, if I am meditating on a scripture, that phrase becomes a part of me--it flows from my head to my heart. This is a practice that I can incorporate anywhere I am at any time. I can say the word or phrase internally and no one even knows that I'm doing it. Because of my busy, full life, I need practices that I can incorporate into my routine without a lot of adjustment.
Stephanie,
ReplyDeleteYou seem to know what types of relaxation techniques that work best for, that is awesome! I have struggled with all of these this entire term. The ability to let myself release the tension to be able to focus on something that could possibly help me to relax and basically stop the highway of life for just a moment to consentrate on me. Maybe as I continue to work on it I will be able to do that.
Thank you for sharing.
Hi,
ReplyDeleteI have a problem doing silent meditations. That's why I struggled so much with the subtle mind practice. I find that prayer and chantings also helps keep me focused. Not to mention there is something about having a sense of peace in saying them over and over again. You really connect with the words and the feelings they give you.
Ebony